Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Wife in France

Hi everyone – thanks for taking the time to check in on Jonté. All of the support that we get from back home is so much appreciated. He thought it might be a nice addition if I added some thoughts to the blog – so here we go :)



I officially made the move to Vichy on December 29th. I had come over in October for a week – a much needed week with my new husband – and it was during that trip that we finally decided that enough was enough and we didn’t want to do the distance thing anymore. He left so soon after our wedding/honeymoon that neither of us were ready. It just made things that much harder on us. The decision was very easy on one hand – being with my best friend every day and enjoying our lives as newlyweds made all of the sense in the world. On the other hand – I was leaving a great job, something that I had worked so hard for. Needless to say – there were some mixed emotions and lots of tears leaving Winona but it was the best decision I could have made and I have no regrets.


Life is much different for me now. It’s been a bit of an adjustment to go from working and being on the go all the time to now having so much “down” time. I have learned to really enjoy the Wii! Thank goodness for video games, Skype and the Slingbox! (A slingbox is a contraption you can hook up to a TV back home and we can watch it over here on our computer). The time difference means I stay up WAY too late to watch my favorite shows – a DVR is the next necessity! But thanks to Andy and Krista for letting us control one of their t.v.’s!


The best part about being over here is certainly being with Jonté and being able to watch him do what he does best – play basketball. I am his biggest fan and game day is my favorite day of the week. I am so proud of him – he works so hard and has the best attitude. He puts his heart on floor every night. It’s been a struggle at times – it’s very much a business now and sometimes that drives me crazy but he just goes about his business. All of you would be proud to watch him hit open 3’s or make the big steal and seal it with a dunk :) He still does that very well! We go to the gym together most days – so he can get in some extra shooting. I must say – I am becoming the world’s best rebounder! I am able to use the weight room and stuff too – so I am getting in a workout as well. It’s good for us to share the dream together though – that’s what it’s all about.


The atmosphere on game day is really fun. The Vichy fans are great – they really support the team. There is this group that sits under the basket that beats on drums and leads the cheers. It’s so loud sometimes! I must admit that there are times I wish they would just be quiet :) but it’s cool that they are so into the game. That same rowdy group travels by bus to some of the away games that aren’t too far away. I’ve been able to go with them twice – and it’s been quite an experience! There is a lot of drinking going on during the ride – lots of singing and cheering – and there are many pit-stops so everyone can have their smoke! It seems as though at least 90% of the people over smoke – grosses me out and smells bad too. But the people are so nice to me – so I really enjoy it. Only a couple of them speak any English – and my French isn’t exactly good – but basketball makes sense in both languages :)


I wish I could tell you that I am becoming fluent in French – I know that I should spend more time getting to know the language. I know some and am able to communicate a little. Most of the people we deal with on a regular basis speak English though – so in some ways that is a crutch for us. I have become friends with a couple of the other girlfriends/wives. It’s nice to have a woman to talk to! One of the girlfriends lives in our building so her and I (and their almost 2 year old daughter) walk to the home games together. If we’re not traveling to the away games then we get together to watch them. It’s a simple routine but gives us both someone to hang out with.


I mentioned that we walk most places – I still haven’t mastered the art of driving the stick shift car. I was doing ok with it – in the parking lot. But I am not very comfortable at all with it. It’s a little car and the roads are all so narrow! So I’ve put off the learning for now – I really don’t need to drive for any reason but it is kind of weird. I hope I remember what it’s like to be behind the wheel when we get home this summer.


I attached a few pictures – all of them I have taken at various games, etc. I’m not a photographer but hopefully it gives you a little glimpse of the gyms and such. We’re both doing really well over here – looking forward to some traveling this weekend and then hopefully some more as the weather gets even nicer. Thanks again for checking in – we miss you all!


Au revoir!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger