Last night’s game was a good game for us even though we lost. Considering the circumstances we faced for this game - playing without a true center - I thought we responded pretty well. But once again we started the game slow, playing bad defense and just letting our opponent have their way with us. This has happened way too many times and is becoming a bad habit for this team. Nancy got off to a fast start getting easy buckets which forced us to play zone defense. That didn't stop them from scoring as they picked apart our zone hitting 3’s all over the court and getting plenty of offensive rebounds. They forced us once again to change our defense as we went back to man to man. We ended the first quarter down 17 with the scoreboard reading 28-11. The second quarter came around and we started to gain some momentum and crawl back into the game. We changed back to the zone defense hoping this time around it will be more effective. This time we were more active, faster with our rotation and limited them to one shot. Great defense leads to good offense and we capitalized off that. We had great ball movement that led to easy baskets and I became more aggressive on offense creating for myself and my teammates. I was able to hit 16 foot jumper as time expired and we cut the lead down to 6 points; 37-31.
The second half was filled with plenty of action. The game became much more intense. Both teams picked up their physical level of play, the crowd was growing louder and louder, and the refs made some crucial calls that got players from both squads fired up. Both teams took turns making runs in the third quarter. At the start of the quarter, Nancy pushed the lead back to ten and then we made a run to close the gap to five - only to let them make another run to increase the lead once again to double digits. Halfway through the third, the momentum switched back to our side. I was able to help cut the lead down to two by driving along the baseline drawing a foul as well as finishing the play with a basket. But I didn't convert it into a three-point play by missing the free throw (that'll cost me an extra hundred free throws per day this week). We continued to battle it out with them through the rest of the game. Every time we would get the lead down to a two or four, they would respond with a big basket or the refs would make a questionable call that would go their way.
We eventually lost the game 75-65. I finished with 11 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists and only 1 steal. I was proud of the effort we gave last night even though we lost the game.
After the game we usually get pizza for the bus ride home and occasionally we stop at McDonalds. Last night we made a special stop at KFC and boy was that good! KFC isn't quite the same as the one back home but that didn't bother me. The way I was eating my dinner made it seem like I hadn't had a good meal in days, haha. That made the six hour bus ride home somewhat enjoyable. I didn't make it back to the apartment until five in the morning. So I was bummed to miss all the Final Four action last night but I stayed up long enough to watch the highlights and read some of the stories. Well I think that is enough for now. Once again, thanks for tuning in and I will post again throughout the week. God Bless and take care.
P.S. Don't be afraid to leave a comment :)

No comments:
Post a Comment